The Expert Client is the standalone version of Transkribus with the full power of the Transkribus platform: digitisation, AI-powered recognition, transcription and searching of historical documents. Transkribus can be trained to recognize exactly the documents you are interested in. You can also use Transkribus in your browser with Transkribus lite.
Transkribus is platform independent and will run on Windows, Mac and Linux.
1. Unzip ZIP File
After download you will see a ZIP File in the download directory of your computer. Unzip the file before you try to start Transkribus.
2. Run Transkribus
Open the Transkribus directory. There you will find the executable files for your operating system. Start Transkribus from your user interface via doubleclick:
- Windows: Transkribus.bat or use Transkribus.exe
- Mac OS – Apple: Transkribus.command
- Linux: Transkribus.sh
3. About Java
Transkribus is written in Java. You need to have the newest Java 8 installed on your computer for Transkribus to work. This should be the case for most computers.
Please note that Transkribus is developed and tested using the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) by Oracle in version 1.8. While it is known to run also on the JVM that comes with OpenJDK, other implementations are neither tested nor officially supported. The same is valid for Java versions > 9.
4. Notes for first launch
- If you do not have “Administrator” rights, Windows will produce a warning message, such as: Your Computer is Protected by Windows”, etc.
- Do not confirm, but go to “More Information”. There you can agree that this is not malware and that you want to run Transkribus on your computer.
- If the OS is (or is based on) Ubuntu 17.04, installing libwebkit is necessary:
sudo apt install libwebkitgtk-1.0-0
- If you run the program the first time, it may not start because it is a non-signed application (“… can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer” message)
- In this case, right-click (or control-click) the application and choose “Open”. In the appearing dialog box, click “Open” again!
- Or right click the Track Pad to open the Context Menu and add a security exception for Transkribus.